05/01/2016

New beginnings

The build up to Christmas was a really busy and exciting time. I was working every shift I possibly could and I was peparing to be away from my home town for a while. It was all becoming real but in the mist of excitement also came the nightmare of working in a supermarket at Christmas (why do people go crazy??). Anyway, as Christmas Eve came along and I finished work at 5 I said my goodbyes to a lot of people as many of them weren't working on Boxing Day.

Christmas Eve in our family involves Miracle on 34th Street (best Christmas movie ever) and opening up our Christmas pjs (this year I got a lovely set of red fluffy pjs with stars- super cool). It's always a quiet night and this year we had our gran Sandra and granpa don come for soup and cake which was really nice.

Christmas was brilliant. It involved a stocking full of malaria tablets, balloon modelling Christmas crackers, church (got to remember the reason for the season) and a wonderful meal with the people I love. For Christmas I was lucky to get a lovely blue record player to play my grandads old vinyls on and plenty of Percy pig branded items(awesomeeee). Christmas ended with good music on the record player, a very full belly and a good sleep. 

Boxing Day was my last day at work. Was a quiet checkout shift, a good end for my time at Morrisons  (bye bye green shirts). My beautiful mother picked me up from work, we loaded the car and we headed up to the airport to go to snowy Colorado. 

Fast forwarding all the boring plane stuff my siblings and I arrived in Denver. We got picked up by dad and we drove to a beautiful house near Fairplay. This is a gorgeous place in the Rocky Mountains which is covered in snow and feels untouched by humans. Just miles of trees and mountains to be seen. It is utterly breathtaking. We were also greeted to the house by a lovely little laborudour and a bloodhound puppy which was great. I love animals and  the tiny bloodhound is so cute (though she is sometimes a pain).

The first day in Colorado was my brothers birthday! So we went skiing, went to get pizza in Breckinridge and had not just one but two ice cream cakes which he enjoyed greatly. 

Next day we headed into Breckinridge to skiiiii. Now I love skiing! Breck is something else when it comes to skiing. It has gorgeous views, friendly people and brilliant slopes. My brother and I teamed together and I showed him some of the harder slopes which was awesome. On the last day skiing I also got some time to myself to explore some of the harder runs which was really fun. Breck is quite good as it has a lot of trees to weave in and out of which I really enjoyed... Managed to get through the whole trip without a tumble (proud). It is however very very cold this time of year so cold fingers and noses were common place on the slopes. 


Now this post is called 'new beginnings' and in that in referring to the start of a new year and the start of my travels. The start of 2016 was a quiet night but this year is going to be far from quiet.

Sadly I got ill in Colorado but this gave me time to see the new stars wars film which was out of this world;) .Though I will say no more on the matter to avoid spoilers. I also saw the new Sherlock episode which was as clever and brilliant as always (Steven Moffat and mark gatiss are like gods). 

The end of the trip was finished perfectly with my favourite place to go eat - five guys. Can't beat the free peanuts, awesome chips (or fries...Americans look at you funny if you call them chips) and their drinks machine (it's just cool). 

Luckily it won't be long till I'm on the slopes again... (SU Austria trip is only in April!!). When this is posted I'll be back in the uk (for less than 24hours - so only a flying visit) and then I'm off on the big adventure to The Gambia! I'm so excited and I will post when I'm out there. I look forwarded to telling you how I'm doing out there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment