24/01/2016

My African dress

I have fallen in love with the colours and shapes of the African dresses. They are as beautiful and vibrant as the African women who wear them. (They are crazy beautiful) 
Here you don't tend to buy dresses fully made. You go to fabric shops, chose your fabrics, go to a tailors and choose whatever style you want. I love it! So many different patterns and colours to choose from! 
One issue though is that there is far too much choice... Choosing a fabric and a style took so long. This is the fabric I went with for my first (possibly not my last) African style dress.
I loved the colour, swirls and the dots of the leaves. It is something I'd never find in the U.K. I love it so much. I also bought some other fabric for some mc hammer pants. African style mc hammer pants...buzzing for those to get made !! 
We next went to the tailors and got to choose any design of dress we wanted. I went for a dress that had a seperate skirt and top. The styles I went with are very popular here - a fishtail skirt and a top with ruffles round the bottom and sleeves. If I'm getting a African dress I was going to make sure it was made in a proper African style. 
(Photo cred - Lara from The Gambian Maternity Fondation)  
The end product is a thing of beauty. I love the way it fits, the colours and the style. The tailor did a beautiful job! The best thing about this dress is that it cost 800 dalasi for the fabric and tailoring... That's around £15! Love it! 
Here's a cheeky wee selfie. Will post soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment