12/01/2016

One week in The Gambia. Thirteen weeks left.

Hello from The Gambia !! 
(Sorry for the dodgy lighting of Carlisle train station) 
I've been here for a week and I'm loving it!! I arrived here on the 6th after spending four hours with my mum in the car and in Carlisle. We had our last dinner together (was a Toby Carvery- yummy), I got the train down to Chester from Carlisle. I stayed with my grandparents overnight and saw my uncle at the same time and then had a very very early start to get to the airport (boo). I was on the plane for five and a half hours and before I knew it I was in The Gambia! 
Musa picked me up from the airport and drove me to his lovely home where Kaddy (the most beautiful lady I have ever seen) made me a gorgeous Gambian meal (I always forget the names of these meals). Then I got settled and we visited the fish market which was lovely (but slightly smelly). I even helped some of the boys bring in one of the boats (I'm not sure if I was that much help...o well - I tried). 
The next day I rested. I had been doing a lot of travel and it was good to relax. It also gave me a chance to get to know Musa's wonderful family (his daughter Lauren has became my best friend over the past week - she is a cheeky monkey) 
On Friday I visited the school I'll be teaching in (Newtown Bakau lower basic school). I met the kids I would be teaching! They are in grade three (ages 10-12). They made to feel very welcome. They even said 'hello teacher' I also got a chance to see what level they are and the materials they use. 
My weekend was a quiet one with trips to the market and we went to the beach for a long walk (the beach is beautiful). The weekend gave me a opportunity to really get used to the Gambian way of life. I found out I have to adjust to 'African time'. Basically no one is ever on time. Half an hour means at least a hour and a half here (it's an interesting system). Musa wants me to teach him 'British time' so that if he ever comes to the U.K. he can be on time. (He has been improving the past few days) 
I started school on Monday! The schools here are so large (approx 2100 pupils in this school) and there is not enough teachers and classrooms to teach them all at the same time. So half the children come in for the morning and the others come in the afternoon. I teach a morning class which is 8.30-2. The kids are lovely. They are well behaved and listen closely. However the mix of ability in the class is difficult to handle but I'm sure I will get there (been messaging my English teacher mother for advice - what a handy rescource). This week we are working on 'what is your favourite subject' and timetables. They are getting on well. I am learning a lot which is brilliant! I have never used a blackboard so that had been a whole new experience (my handwriting is shocking on it but I'm sure it will improve) and I have also discovered that the top three inches of the blackboard is a place I'm never going to reach (I'm far to short- the kids giggle when I start writing while I'm on my tip toes). 
Today is Wednesday and some volunteers are coming for a week to help develop a garden for the school to use so I look forward to welcoming them! 
I'm having a wonderful time here in The Gambia. Especially loving the sun ;). 
Will post soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment