28/01/2016

Stop! Hammer time...

Been so busy!! 
So this week Musa and I have been helping two guys from the Gambian Maternaity Foundation (GMF) they are also doing bits and bobs for the charity called Legs 4 Africa (love what both of these charities are doing!). We have taken them to the markets, watched the fishing boats come in and gotten African clothes made (having to be good not to get too much!). They are a great couple and really enjoyed having them here. With them we have visted various hospitals and health centres which has been eye opening. 
We have been to see the women's garden project which was really lovely. Its a project were women are given land so they can provide for their familes with whatever they grow. They are so strong! They have no proper tools and they need to constantly pull water from the well for the crops (i helped a girl get water from the well - its hard). 
Now this week i have been becoming great pals with the tailor in Bakau. Ive had a full african dress made (my favourite thing ever), a pair of harem pants (aka mc hammer pants) and a wrap around skirt and matching headband (they did that for free and on the spot for me (scoreeee). Also got a cute skirt (just need to wait till they put a zip on it). I have aslo found a pair of docs on a random stall. They are red, my size and cost a grand total of 100 dalasi (just over 2 pounds. Bargain!).
School has been great! On friday the guys from GMF came to the school assembly and all three of us sang hakuna matata to over 1000 kids, even the pumba part! These guys have never seen disney and ever since the performance we have had random kids coming up to us shouting 'HAKUNA MATATA'. Its very cute! My school house (green house), also had training for the interhouse sports competition which was good fun. Even ran a race myself (didn't do that bad!). Also got a school tshirt with my house on it. Love the head (she calls me her daughter. Its cute.) 
We went to the village on saturday which ive already told you about and we chilled on sunday. School on monday was the first time i was left alone fully with my class! Was really good (even though i had to teach some maths). 
Here are some of my favourite photos ive taken out and about (im not including any photos from the village). 
Cannot believe I have been here a month! Loving it here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment