13/02/2016

My school and our problem

Being a teacher is a tough job in any country (I have witnessed my mum slave over making class materials and marking in the UK). Being a teacher in a country when your only resources are textbooks that often aren't correct and a blackboard it can be quite daunting. 
My school is called Bakau Newtown Lower Basic School. It has 2245 pupils in total. It is a free school and allows children of any religon and background to join. The school simply do not have the staff or classrooms to accommodate all the children at once so they are spilt into the morning shift and afternoon shift. The morning shift has 1450 kids and runs from 8:30 to 14:00 (apart on fridays when they finish at 11:40). The afternoon shift has around 800 pupils and runs from 14:00-20:00. Each class has around 35-45 pupils in. Its a handful to say the least. 
Now, I'm going to jump straight into one of the big problems we face in the school. The water supply to the school is not reliable. The pipe is too small and gives us only enough to water for two small taps for the kids to drink with (even these sometimes don't work). The school has no working toilets and the children go to the loo around the back of the grounds, not far from where they play. This is heartbreaking as we have toilet blocks which are from ARC and Unicef but there is not enough water. To solve this problem the school need to drill a borehole. This is not cheap and the school simply do not have the money to fund this work. I have spoken to the headmistress and people who can do the work. Overall, it will cost around £2000. So, I am starting a fundrasing page (link at the bottom) I would love it if you could share the message, put on bakesales, events or donate. Every little helps (sorry tesco for stealing that). I love this school and want the kids to be as healthy and happy as possible. 
Next post will be about my wee class and the rewards (and many challenges) of being their teacher. 

Thank you so much for reading.
Justgiving page its at the sidebar and here's a link- https://www.justgiving.com/Gvstheworld

Ps - I also just made a facebook page :) check it out in my sidebar and like it if you want... ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment